The temperature in my part of the world is going to reach 45 degrees today. So I’ve done something ‘amazing’. To make sure I don’t miss my third day in a row of going outside, I’ve cleaned house and walked the bin over to our on farm landfill (a couple 100 metres).
So it’s not much, but what a great start to the day, especially when it’s already HOT out there :p
What are you prioritising today?
The other New Years resolution I’m going to work on today is connecting. I really want to get to know you all. I have no idea how best to do this….any suggestions?!?
I’m going to try and do a spotlight today on one of my newest likers – Amanhimself.
Stalking his Bio page I’ve discovered his name is Aman Mittal and he is the well published blogger at Confessions of a Readaholic. He lives in New Delhi, India and adores books – so do I Aman!! (Indeed I’m pretty sure that’s how we discovered each other). I also discovered this quote on his page:
And this exactly summarises my blogging goal for 2018 – to actively engage in this conversation. So if Aman doesn’t mind I’m going to ask him a few questions, perhaps you’d like to answer them too:
- What is your all time favourite book or genre and why?
- Tell me something cool about where you live?
- Do you have a blogging quirk? I’d love to hear a fun fact about how you read or prepare your own blogs?
- Have you got any top priorities for 2018?
Thank you Aman for visiting my blog – I hope to continue conversing with you for a long time to come 🙂
I’ve had a great week 🙂
- I finished my work notes and shut that computer off
- Hubby took kids for a swim in the farms finally ready swimming pool (was out of action 2017) while I finished a nap
- I finished a book and a puzzle
- I enjoyed a new tv series but ready for a break which means I can start latest season of Grey’s Anatomy tonight
- It was great to have Vacswim give the kids and I some routine this week
- Found my daughters Vacswim book (yay!) and my son did a whole lesson without crying (even if my Mum had to take him for this to occur)
- I cleared the floor of the toy room
- We caught up with friends
- I continued to feel positive about the New Year
- Hubby and I have been on similar pages this week
- The weather was awesome!
Basically I have nothing to complain about and I’m not sure there’s many people who can say that.
I do have a few resolutions to add to my list (and a confession that I’ve not really been outdoors the last two days – yesterday was a work day and today is just hot :p )
- I realised there were no resolutions regarding my children which I think was a bit of an oversight. I know self-care as a parent is important but I think I do tend to put my needs first especially in regards to free time so I’d like to aim for a purposeful activity each day with each child – we’ll see how that goes
- Also watched a One Million clip this afternoon reminding me I want to make decisions in my shopping that reduce my negative impact on the environment
- Lastly because you know it’s the first week and I’m feeling great and gonna reach for the stars (!) I want to keep focusing on advocacy – have just been in touch with a friend whose son is suffering from bipolar and unfortunately when she reached out to services they were overstretched with waitlists – so many areas our community local, state, country can improve on.
Hope 2018 has been treating you well so far too – I’d love to hear about it…
This past Christmas week has been full of the highs of festivities with friends and families but also lows of feeling flat, dealing with children and a lack of motivation/direction. The lows culminated in a head cold which thankfully gave me an excuse to lay low. An excuse also helped me build a fighting spirit and I finished off the week ready to bring in the New Year.
It can be tough when you finally reach the much longed-for break at the end of the year. My husband and I of course struggle with different expectations. I’ve generally already had a few slower weeks and am ready to, or at least wanting to be ready to, start doing some jobs together but he’s only just getting a chance to stop and generally still has a few daily work things that need seeing to.
Today on the first day of the year I’ve been productive and bright and hopeful and just HOORAY! As I always say on the flipside of a rough day or two – the hardest part about is not knowing how long it will last. This blog is an amazing reminder that it does always pass, generally much quicker than it feels.
Although not big on New Years resolutions I still think they have a place – I need something to aim towards, particularly this time of year when I actually have time. Last year I had a lot of goals for this blog which really didn’t come to fruition. I was going to do:
- weekly Gratitude/Positives of the Week Post
- WWW – Wednesday + When are you reading? challenge
- fortnightly issue post
- random regulars
- 2+ weekly posts?!?
I did say it was wishful thinking at the time LOL
This year I’m focusing on personal goals:
- Spend 5 minutes outdoors every day – I’m hoping it will be 5 deliberate minutes and maybe even involve a bit of mindfulness and fitness too.
- Keep working on my marriage. I made a casual suggestion today at morning tea that we should have a night each week where we discuss the week ahead which wasn’t received well – all suggestions seem to be work to him rather than opportunities. One relationship theory I studied last year by the Gottman’s was called Sound House Relationship – I’m really wanting to work on Building Our Love Maps and Creating Shared Meaning together – the other levels I hope I can strive for myself making a positive impact on my loving man
- House goals – work towards getting a patio built and changing our lounge room carpet/set up (I’d love to take out a wall!)
- Continue my slow journey towards decluttering – I’m happy with my pace and progress. I actually think my Fly Lady routine of ‘a load a day, keeps chaos away’ has changed my life!
- oooh and study I want to start preparing again for that…….especially PRAC (eeek/:D)
Blog wise my brainwave today was to try and learn about my followers. It truly amazes me that 156 people have clicked that follow button. I know it means different things to everyone and I’m nowhere near 156 likes but WoW. I reflected recently that I’m not really a writer but community is super important to me. I think one of things I learnt about myself in 2017 is that I struggle socially out and about but I love reading and feeling connected, even if I can’t manage it all the time!
I’m back to writing down lists to do and feeling positive about 2018. I pray you are too,
Dear Lord, give me wisdom and guide me to the choices You want me to make. Amen.